Driving the Successful Michigan Deposit System
copyright 2014, UBCR, LLC 4820 Holtz Drive | Wixom MI 48393 | Office: 248-529-2600 | Dispatch & Customer Service: 888-422-7404
Michigan leads the nation in beverage container recycling, with a redemption rate of 97%.
Why is Michigan so successful? It’s because of overwhelming support by Michigan citizens of the 10¢ deposit combined with a convenient return system.
Our system is successful for several reasons:
1. Motivation – our 10¢ deposit on beverage containers motivates consumers to return their bottles and cans rather than simply throwing them away.
2. Convenience – Because beverage containers can be returned when we shop, consumers are able to make just one trip to redeem deposits and do their shopping.
3. The beverage container recycling system in Michigan is well-established, efficient, accountable and requires no expense to taxpayers.
4. The Michigan beverage container recycling system keeps our roads, beaches, parks and waterfront areas cleaner, at less cost to taxpayers.
5. Zero Waste. The quality of material collected through the beverage container recycling system is very high, with100% of the material recycled into new products. Material collected and processed in Michigan is highly desirable and in demand by industry.
6. The current system uses less energy than other systems. UBCR trucks fueled with compressed natural gas (CNG) haul many more containers per mile, more efficiently than any other system.
How and why Michigan’s deposit system works
Learn more about Michigan's Beverage Container Deposit Law, passed by Michigan voters in 1976 and enacted
As the product is delivered to stores and sold to consumers, the ten-cent deposit moves in four steps,
from wholesaler to store to consumer. As the used containers are redeemed in the stores, the ten-cent deposit moves in the opposite direction.